Waste Management – Activities
Demonstration/Pilot Projects – Specific Waste Streams
Converting Waste Agricultural Biomass into a Resource - Ongoing
UNEP started, in 2009, a series of projects on the conversion of waste agricultural biomass into a resource with the objective of building the local capacity to identify and implement Environmental Sound Technologies (ESTs) for waste agricultural biomass and to assess their potential for resource conservation and greenhouse gas emission reduction as well as for their feasibility with respect to local socio-economic and environmental characteristics.
The projects are taking place in four areas/regions namely Cabiao (Philippines), Sanghar district (Pakistan), Madhyapur Thimi Municipality (Nepal) and Monaragala district (Sri Lanka) in partnership with the Development Academy of the Philippines, the Institute of Environmental Engineering and Management (Mehran University of Engineering and Technology, Pakistan), the Society for Environment and Economic Development (SEED) in Nepal and the National Cleaner Production Centre of Sri Lanka.
The project includes as a first step the characterization and quantification (baseline data) of waste agricultural biomass in the specific area/region and the assessment of current patterns of use/disposal of waste agricultural biomass. Stakeholder’s consultation workshops have also been carried out.
The results of the previous activities have enabled the identification and assessment of suitable technologies for the conversion of waste agricultural biomass into useful energy/material. The identification of technologies have been supported by the use of a Compendium of Technologies on Converting Waste Agricultural Biomass into a Resource, developed to easy the search of technologies according to available waste inputs or desired resource outputs.
As part of the project a Regional Workshop on Converting Waste Agricultural Biomass into a Resource was held in Osaka in March to discuss the waste biomass projects and to assist local partners in developing the demonstration projects with the identified technologies.
Further steps of the project will include the development of the pilot project in detail and it will require exploring B2B partnership for technology implementation.
Sanghar district (Pakistan)
- Assessment of Current Waste Management System, Characterization and Quantification of Waste Agricultural Biomass (WAB)
- Legal Framework, Institutional Arrangements and Financing Mechanisms for Waste Agricultural Biomass (WAB)/ Solid Waste
- Stakeholder's Consultation Workshops
- Assessment of Environmentally Sound Technologies (ESTs) for Waste Agricultural Biomass (WAB)
Madhyapur Thimi Municipality (Nepal)
- Baseline Study Report on Characterisation and Quantification of Agricultural Biomass
- Baseline Study Report on Assessment of Waste Management System
- Report on Stakeholder’s Issues of Concern
- Report on Pilot Project – Selection of EST
Monaragala district (Sri Lanka)
- Training Manual
- Waste Biomass Quantification and Characterisation
- Assessment of Current Waste Biomass Management System
- Stakeholder's Issues of Concern
- Identification, Assessment and Selection of Environmental Sustainable Technologies